glitter

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Grammy

I constantly thought of my Grammy while in Haiti.  She's the only orphan I know in my everyday world.

By the time she was 5 both of her parents had died.  She thinks it was cancer, though it wasn't diagnosed as such back then.  She had a brother that was a good bit older than her, and married pretty young, but she went to live in an orphanage after her parents died.  Over the years, her brother would call and tell her that he was coming to get her.  She would pack up her things and wait for him to come.  And he wouldn't.  And the process repeated itself.  {Can you imagine?}

When she was 12 the orphans sang at a church and she met Grace and Mike.  Soon after they took her in and became her foster parents, though Grace was only 22.  Grammy helped raise their kids and they remained close friends until Grace and Mike passed.

I couldn't help think of Grammy while at the orphanage...


No comments:

Post a Comment