glitter

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Departure

It was incredibly hard to say good bye to the kids I fell in love with.  It was hard for me to leave with certain parts of our construction project unfinished.  It was hard to drive back to Port au Prince and wonder if things will ever change.  My heart fell hard and fast for a place so completely foreign to me.

As our plane took off, I burst into tears.  The woman sitting next to me asked how long I'd been in Haiti.  I felt like a pansy replying, "one week."  But you know what?  A lot can happen in one week.

It felt good to land in Miami and be back on American soil.  Customs felt a bit like purgatory -- always waiting and it's miserable.  My first meal was a double bacon cheeseburger from Burger King (hey Mary Anne!) and it tasted damn good!  Meat without bones!  Our fast food is of a much higher caliber than nice restaurants in Haiti.

After a double mojito and saying good bye to Nick, the rest of our crew headed to ATL.  Maggie generously picked Weston and I up at the airport, swung us through the Wendy's drive through, and W and I made the trek back to Columbia that right.  Rolling in at 2:30, a nice hot shower was the perfect ending to a long, hard, sad day.  I got back to Charleston around 4 pm on Sunday...home felt good, yet different.

No comments:

Post a Comment